Responsibilities of a Board Member
The Board shall have the authority to control and manage the affairs and property of the Corporation. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Guard the mission of Pets Are Loving Support (PALS).
- Select the PALS Executive Director.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of the Executive Director.
- Provide counsel to staff as appropriate.
- Adopt PALS annual budget and authorize modifications to the budget throughout the year.
- Approve the addition or removal of programs.
- Oversee the management and investment of PALS investments.
- Authorize capital expenditures.
- Solicit funds to support PALS.
- Contribute funds directly to support PALS.
- Promote PALS' mission and accomplishments.
- Recruit and orient new board members.
- Establish overarching policies that govern PALS.
- Create an accountability system to ensure that PALS complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Serve as a community ambassador for PALS.
- Identify fundraising ideas for PALS.
- Provide outreach and look for other outreach opportunities.
- Determine priorities and organize around them.
- Identify high-profile people and organizations with whom to form partnerships.
- Participate in PALS fundraisers and events.
- Attend PALS Board meetings.
Since 1990, it has been the mission of Pets Are Loving Support, Inc., to provide ongoing care and support to the pets of Atlanta area persons living with disabilities due to HIV/AIDS, critical illnesses, and the elderly. With this help, pets and owners may remain together to share the healing power of love and companionship which flows from the human-animal bond.
Statement on Racial Justice
The Board of Directors of Pets Are Loving Support (PALS) believe in racial justice and equality. We denounce systemic racism, strive for racial equality, and advocate for social justice in our community. We support all those who are advocating for racial justice. We serve a diverse population of clients and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, or any other demographic statistic. We strive to include diversity among our volunteers and board members.